Varieties of hosting services
A hosting solution involves saving and/or sharing certain content on a hosting server run by a web hosting distributor. There are different groups of hosting services used for various ends, so let's have a look at them. Thus, you can choose what you need, depending on whether you wish to have a web site, email accounts, or to share files with mates and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a solution distributed by various firms, which allows you to share enormous files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archives, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single designation is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to read an index of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to open .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file storage services often include adverts next to the download links, while a timer compels you to await a particular interval of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you purchase a paid file hosting plan, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no limit as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting firms, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modern "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly awry interpretation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would apportion the tasks at hand between different hosts of servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving different web space hosting services (email, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web page hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a brand of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; specific vendors provide a hosting service for images exclusively. This hosting type is good if you would like to share a large amount of images with comrades or partners since the service is mostly free of cost. You will obtain a random link for each image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be utilized for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution dedicated to tackling your mailbox accounts. Some companies provide web site hosting services for sites, but do not offer an email hosting solution. If you desire to run an e-mail address with your domain name but do not wish to run a web site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you want. You can create e-mail box accounts and manage them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to some video clip, or you can embed the video clip in your web page that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of utilizing this approach in lieu of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video clip creates a particular amount of CPU load, so with several video files and several hundred web site viewers, you may have trouble with your website hosting supplies. Embedding the video file will enable you to keep as many video files as you desire without bothering about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you require if you would like to possess a web site. To some degree, it includes all of the abovementioned hosting types since, along with your web sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can have databases and e-mail aliases, upload videos, and so on. At 29blue, for instance, you can have a look at web hosting and dedicated hosting packages that allow you to get all of the aforementioned solutions in one location. There may be restrictions based on the type of hosting service that you've picked - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your hosting account may be better or worse juxtaposed to the ordinary email/file/video/image hosting plans that are planned for specific web content exclusively.